If you have come to the point where you are thinking about doing a research study, you probably know that there is no such thing as a “guaranteed job”. Instead, we can only talk about projections, statistics and generalities.
On the positive side, the BLS found that the unemployment rate is directly proportional to the level of education. In fact, in 2020, only 2.5% of PhD graduates found a job.
“Is salary important?”
A famous statement is that “salary is not that important”. Some people may be okay with it and some may not, it really depends on your personal situation, lifestyle and attitude. But one thing must be clear: never choose your job based on monetary aspects alone! First decide on the job description and, more importantly, your personal impression during the interview — the impression you will have on your future colleagues and your boss. Are you on the same wavelength? Do you fit into the team? Do you enrich the team? Do they enrich you? Can you further develop this post? will you learn something new
In addition to professional aspects, make sure you want to live in this city: compare the quality of life, including climate, political system, leisure and cultural activities, security , behavior, acceptance of human and minority rights, distance from friends and family. Ask yourself how these topics relate to your current desires and future plans, perhaps including family planning.
2005 salary data compared to 2009 salary data
The value of a doctorate in 2009 is almost the same as in 2005.
As a control To assess additional stability the value of Ph.D .
, I also looked at data from the 2005 salary survey. Admittedly, in a different economic environment in 2005 than in 2009, the estimates are remarkably similar. The 2005 regression equation is as follows:
Graduate student life
- Most important: a doctorate can open doors. In the case of certain fields, such as B. science itself, a doctorate may be required. And for others, a PhD can help you demonstrate expertise or skill, open doors, or help you advance to higher positions. Your mileage may vary!
- You survived a doctorate: this achievement can be a great confidence booster.
- You have a doctorate and you can use the title Dr. use lead. Certainly not a good enough reason to do a doctorate, but some help!
- PhD can be hard! There are many challenges. If you are not careful and do not take good care of yourself, it can affect your well-being.
- Being a doctoral student can (but doesn’t have to) be lonely, and thesis supervisors aren’t always as supportive as you’d like.
- Also, especially during this pandemic time, you may not be able to get as much support from your manager, meet your colleagues or even access equipment and technical support as easy as you are in normal time.